Last week Social Media Club San Diego (SMCSD) hosted an event with Michael Stelzner, founder of Social Media Examiner and author of Launch: How to Quickly Propel Your Business Beyond the Competition. At the event, Stelzner shared his Elevation Principle — a blueprint on how to launch a businesses by developing a solid content strategy. He believes that if you focus your efforts around great content that provides value to your customers and eliminates marketing messages, your business could achieve stellar success.
I would have to say that of all the SMCSD events that I’ve attended, this event was one of my favorites. At the end of the presentation, I had already downloaded Launch and had a list of content ideas that I wanted to produce (stay tuned for a review of his new book). If you’re interested in learning more about Stelzner’s new book, you can download your first chapter of Launch today.
- The Elevation Principle Formula: Great Content + other people – marketing messages = Growth
- If you can solve people’s problems at no cost then many of them will wonder what you can do if they paid for your services.
- Cage your marketing messages. Marketing if friction to your business – it slows down your growth.
- There are three things people want: insight, access to great people, and recognition.
- 80% of your content should not have a marketing message tied to it. Just be willing to help with no strings attached.
- Shine the spotlight on others such as outside experts and successful peers.
- Primary Fuel: How-to articles, expert interviews, reviews, news stories, and case studies.
- Nuclear Fuel: Report based surveys, white papers, top 10 contests, micro events (i.e. webinars, videos, podcasts).
- 95% of your Facebook Fans will never come back to your Facebook Fan Page. Fans will get your information via the news feed.
- Social Media Examiner will be releasing the 2012 Social Media Marketing Industry Report on Tuesday, April 3, 2012.