Last night Social Media Club San Diego (SMCSD) hosted a Facebook themed event with Mari Smith, renowned thought leader in the social media space and author of the new book, “The New Relationship Marketing.”
Dubbed by FastCompany.com as “The Pied Piper of the Online World,” Mari Smith shared 10 Facebook Do’s and Don’ts to a crowd at Prospect Bar and Grill as they listened, tweeted, and raised their hands in response to her engaging questions throughout the night.
Below are tips that Mari Smith shared in tweetable soundbytes.
10 Facebook Do’s and Don’ts
- Do decide how you wish to you use your personal profile. Personal/Business/Combo? #FB
- Do be familiar with FB’s privacy settings i.e. default sharing, tagging, auth apps, blocking, etc. #FB
- Do create a FB fan page for your business. Add custom apps and take advantage of analytics. #FB
- Do use additional analytics tools to improve your FB posts. Ex @crowdbooster @fangager @twentyfeet @socialbakers #FB
- Do add the FB Like button and LIke Box to your website and blog. #FB
- Don’t tag friends in photos or vids unless they are actually in it. #FB
- Don’t send emails to multiple recipients as a way to get their attention. #FB
- Don’t add friends to groups w/o their permission. Contact potential members privately to see if they would be interested. #FB
- Don’t run a contest unless it complies with FB’s Promotion Guidelines. Must use a 3rd party app. #FB
- Don’t overly automate content publication to your fan page. #FB
In addition to Mari’s tips above, SMCSD Twitter followers joined in on the conversation and shared their own Facebook Do’s and Don’ts.
Below are a few Facebook Do’s and Don’ts from the SMCSD community. Do you have a few tips that you’d like to share? If so, feel free to leave a comment below.
About Mari Smith
Interested in learning more about Mari Smith or more about social media training? You’re in luck. Mari offers a variety of social media training programs and product offerings – from her ongoing social media support program to her Social Marketing Mastery Immersion program. Training sessions can be held at your location of choice in San Diego or delivered via web conferencing tools. For more information, visit http://www.marismith.com/coaching-consulting-services/.