How do you assess social platforms for your organizations? Every now and then, I get an email about the shiny new object in social media and questions on whether or not we or a client should engage in it. Below are eight questions I typically ask. Feel free to add your questions in the comments below.
How to Assess Social Technologies
- Which group(s) in Groundwell’s Social Technographics ladder does the platform cater to (i.e. Creators, Critics, Collectors, Joiners, and/or Spectators)?
- Why are people participating on this platform? What are the emotional motivations for participating on this platform?
- How does your target audience(s) currently engage in social media?
- Does your target audience’s participation in social media reflect the engagement activity on the social media platform you are assessing?
- Are members of the new social media platform providing valuable insight about your business?
- Can you measure the social media platform’s impact on your business goals?
- Do you have resources in place to engage and support users on the social media platform?
- And lastly, shout out to Downtown Rob for this last question: “Is this shiny new object that you’re recently heard about going to be around in the next 6 months?”